Many groups, organisations, businesses and volunteers helped to improve the rivers and streams in Burnley in 2014 and 2015. Some of these went on to adopt a section of river and be more active in looking after it. For example completing the RRT training courses in ‘River Habitat Management’, organising educational activities, community clean-ups, removing non-native invasive species and reporting any problems to RRT and/or the Environment Agency. If you would like to get involved contact the groups directly or call RRT for more information (01200 44 44 52).
- Lower Calder – Down stream of the confluence of river Brun with river Calder
- Upper Calder and tributaries – Towneley Park
- Town Centre Calder – Calder upstream from confluence with river Brun
- Town Centre Brun – Brun upstream of confluence
- Upper Town Centre Brun – Thompson Park
- Upper Town Centre Brun – Bank Hall Park
- Green Brook – Lower House Lodges Local Nature Reserve
- Lower Calder below Burnley – Down stream of Burnley, Grove Lane, Martholme and Altham
- Canal Corridor crosses both rivers Brun and Calder
- Upper Brun and tributaries – Brun Valley Forest Park
1) Lower Calder – Down stream of the confluence of river Brun with river Calder
Pennine Lancashire Community Farm (PLCF) & Burnley College
Main contacts = James Horsford & Sharon Burke
Porta Cabin Buildings Princess Way
March St Community Garden Site Burnley
Burnley, BB12 0BU. BB12 0AN.
2) Upper Calder and tributaries – Towneley Park
Friends of Towneley Park (FOTP)
Main contacts = Maureen Frankland & Graham Gavaghan
Towneley Hall, Burnley, BB11 3RQ.
3) Town Centre Calder – Calder upstream from confluence with river Brun
Kwik Fit & Burnley Estates
Main contacts = Paul Waterworth & Harold Norman
Caldervale Road, Burnley, BB11 1BS. Hammerton House, 9/92 Hammerton St Burnley, BB11 1NA.
4) Town Centre Brun – Brun upstream from confluence with river Calder
Burnley Council Street Scene & Fish Pass Volunteer David Jackson
Main contacts = Salvatore Vita
c/o Burnley Town Hall, Manchester Road, Burnley, BB11 1JA.
5) Upper Town Centre Brun – Thompson Park
St Peters Church, MIGC, Canalside Community Association & Friends of Thompson Park
Main contact(s) = Simon Goff, Shenaz Sidique & Brenda Rochester
6) Upper Town Centre Brun – Bank Hall Park
Thursby Community Garden Action Group, Burnley Borough Council
Main contact(s) = Mick Warn & Simon Goff
7) Green Brook – Lower House Lodges Local Nature Reserve
Pendle and Burnley District Anglers Association (PBDAA)
Main contact = Darren Taylor
8) Lower Calder – Down stream of Burnley, Grove Lane, Martholme and Altham
Mitre Angling & National Trust
Main contact(s) = Greg Smith & Nik Taylor
9) Canal Corridor crosses both rivers Brun and Calder
Canal and River Trust (CRT)
Main contact = Emma Fielding
Lower House Lane, Rose Grove, Burnley, BB12 6HU.
10) Upper Brun – Brun Valley Forest Park
Burnley Borough Council, Trees for Burnley & Friends of Rowley Park
Main contact(s) = Simon Goff, June Evans, Tony Harrison & Sheila Morgan