<back to Newspapers Main
In the 60's and 70's pollution in Burnley's rivers was headline news.
Here you can read all about how:
- In 1977, 30 girls, young students from Ivy Bank School, began to clean-up their local polluted stream...
- In 1972 Burnley Express established the first forum to address pollution in Burnley's rivers...
- Himalayan Balsam plants and seeds were available to buy and promoted as exotic flowers 'from the land of the yeti'...
Burnley's river Calder was known as:
- The 'Tomato soup river...'
- 'The Yellow river flows on....'
- 'Problem river runs red...'